27 November 1937 – Third Lanark 0 St Johnstone 5

On this day in 1937 St Johnstone travelled to Glasgow to meet Third Lanark in a First Division fixture at Cathkin.

Going into the match Saints had won their previous two matches at Muirton Park defeating Hibs 2 – 0 and St Mirren 3 – 0. This had lifted them into a comfortable mid table position just one point behind their opponents.

Manager, David Rutherford, selected the following team: – Bob Wylie, Johnny Welsh, Bill Taylor, George Mason, Frank Moulds, Bob Smellie, Jimmy Tennant, McLaren, George Meechan, Andy McCall, Jimmy Caskie.

Saints took control of the match straight from the start and it was no great surprise when Jimmy Caskie put Saints ahead in 11 minutes. The goal was something of a tap in for the winger after “The Warriors” keeper had saved but couldn’t hold a fierce shot from Tennant.

Thirds tried to get back into the match but Mason and McCall were on top of the midfield and in 24 minutes Caskie turned provider for the second goal. Driving down the wing he sent over a superb cross which was partially cleared to Mason who fired home from  around 10 yards range.

It was 3 – 0 in 40 minutes. After some pressure from the home team Caskie broke away and won a corner on the left. When his flag kick came over Meechan out-jumped the full back to head powerfully into the net.

The second half saw Third Lanark try hard but Saints were on top form and the only surprise was that it took until 85 minutes before the fourth goal was scored. Caskie was again the provider. This time he went past the right back and passed to McLaren whose close range shot was perfectly placed to make it 4 – 0.

The fifth goal came with virtually the last kick of the match when Meechan hit a screamer to put the icing on the proverbial cake.

The result meant Saints moved up to 7th position in the league. They would finish the Season in 8th position on 39 points.

Jimmy Caskie was signed by Manager Tommy Muirhead in June 1933 from Ashfield Juniors. He made 110 appearances for St Johnstone scoring 16 goals.

His fine form in that 1937/38 season had earned him a League International cap against the English League in a 1 – 0 win at Ibrox. He would gain a second League cap the following season against the Irish League.

On 16 March 1939 Caskie was transferred to Everton for a fee reported as £3,500. This is equivalent of £200,000 in today’s values.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s