17 July 1999 – St Johnstone 1 – Wigan Athletic 1 ( 3 – 5 pens )

On this day in 1999 Manager Sandy Clark continued his pre season preparations by sending a squad to participate in the 4 team Livingston Tournament which also included the hosts, Partick Thistle and Wigan Athletic.

During the previous week Saints had completed a short tour of Ireland engaging in friendly matches with St Patrick’s Athletic ( lost 0 – 2 ), Bray Wanderers ( draw 0 – 0 ) and Shamrock Rovers ( draw 1 – 1 ).

In the Livingston tournament Saints first match was against Wigan Athletic who the previous season had finished 6th in League Division 2 before losing to Manchester City 1 – 2 on aggregate in the two-leg  semi final playoffs.

Saints team was : – Alan Main, John McQuillan, Gary Bollan, Nick Dasovic, Darren Dods, Danny Griffin, Martin Lauchlan, Kieran McAnespie, Paul Kane, Nathan Lowndes, Miguel Simao.

Subs were Jim Weir for McAnespie, George O’Boyle for Lowndes, John-Paul McBride for Lauchlan.

The Wigan team was; – Stillie, Bradshaw, Elliott, McGibbon, De Zeeuw, Sheridan, Kilford, Haworth, Barlow, McLaughlin, O’Neill.

( Not 100% certain but think it is Darren Sheridan, Brian McLaughlin and Michael O’Neill who all played for Saints later in their careers ).

A crowd of 2,000 saw Saints struggle to find any rhythm and it took a late Gary Bollan strike to equalise an earlier Simon Haworth goal.

A penalty shoot out saw the English team progress 5 – 3 to meet Livingston in the following day’s “Final”.

A mainly reserve team defeated Partick Thistle the following day thanks to a Jim Weir header.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s